Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Disneyland This 'n That

July 9, 2011
I don't remember the first time I visited Disneyland, but I know I was very young. My father would take my sisters and I at least once a year when we came to visit him. It was a very special treat. As the years went by and I became a young adult, I would come with my friends to just hang out. One of my first dates with Walt was at Disneyland. As a mom, I would often bring the kids and suddenly, I was seeing Disneyland through different eyes. And now, Walt and I are seeing it again on our own. (We hope to someday enjoy the park with our grandchildren - but no hurry!)

At different ages I've had different reasons for coming to Disneyland, and a different outlook on the park each time. As a child, it was full of awe and wonder. As a teenager, it was a grown up playground. As an adult (before kids) it was adventurous and exciting. As a mom, it was all about the kids and passing the awe and wonder on to them. Now, it's about spending time with my husband, watching other people enjoy the park, and re-experiencing all of the happy moments of the past.

I'm really glad Walt and I agreed to visit every attraction. There are attractions I might not have visited because, after so many visits, some things just become invisible. Or, if I saw something 20 or 30 years ago, I might have felt like I didn't need to see it again. (Wrong!)

Today, we experienced a couple of attractions that I normally would have walked right by.





Let's start on Main Street with "The Disneyland Story Presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln." This is really two attractions in one. The Disneyland Story is an exhibit highlighting the history of Disneyland park. There are a lot of interesting things to learn about how the park was developed and how it progressed through the years. In addition to the wall hangings and display cases in the exhibit, there is also a film narrated by Steve Martin and Donald Duck. It's worth taking a few minutes to sit and watch the film.

Next to the Disneyland Story exhibit room, there is the ante room for the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln show. The show, in a large plush theater, starts with a film about Abraham Lincoln. Then, Mr. Lincoln himself (rather an amazingly lifelike animatronic version of him) talks about liberty and this great country of ours. Once again, I take my hat off to Disneyland for inspiring patriotism and showcasing our great land.

The Disney Gallery is on Main Street, near the front entrance. I believe this is the gallery that used to be above Pirates of the Caribbean, but I'm not sure. The Gallery features artwork related to Disneyland, and changes from time to time. While not a "kick up your heels" exciting attraction, it's a nice diversion from the busy park.

Tonight we stayed to watch the nightly fireworks show, which I haven't done in years. We stood in the middle of Main Street, along with thousands of other people, and watched the grand show explode over Sleeping Beauty Castle. The fireworks were choreographed with music and, of course, Tinkerbell flew by in grand fashion. Tink wasn't the only one flying, though. Dumbo made a winged appearance as well! It was a great show that everyone should stop and watch at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment